Tuesday, September 27, 2022

birthday eve at the ballpark

Henry was supposed to have a baseball game tonight but it was cancelled because of rain so... birthday eve at the kitchen sink. Thanks for doing the dishes, Henry, when you would much rather be playing ball. 

When this guy does the dishes, he usually likes to set himself up with some music first. TobyMac is his favourite soundtrack to his soapy chore, and he sometimes has to stop scrubbing to look off into the distance to consider the lyrics and comment on the emotional state the words put him in. I love his thinking and thoughtfulness, and it perhaps explains his fascination with haikus. After learning about them in school, he set to work to write 100 haikus for the family this past Lent, employing his same stare-into-the-distance method to come up with syllabic sentiments. Some were funny. Some were serious. Some heartfelt. And a surprising number about food. But all were very accurate and a gift of his heart for the family - I'll keep them forever. 

Tomorrow this guy will be 12. I pray his heart is always right where it is right now. It is my favourite thing about him. We love you Henry! Happy Birthday Eve!









As a special treat... a few Haikus from Henry's collection...


A family dog

Some want it and some do not

It's controversial 


What is life's purpose?

To get others to Heaven

And always spread love


Our table manners

And table conversations

Could use some more work


Breakfast, lunch, supper

I don't need any of those

I need a good snack


Unfinished projects

They can happen easily

and they lie around


No comments: