What I've come to understand is that Janie clumps all her feelings together and anything outside of happy is perceived by her to be angry. So when she is sad, bored, hungry, frustrated... all of it is mad to her. And this is funny (interesting, not "ha ha") to me because, while she has trouble figuring out her own feelings, she is very sensitive to the feelings of others, particularly Leo, and also me. From when Leo was a baby and Janie accompanied us to all his doctor appointments, she hovered over him to protect him as best she could from shots and pokes and prods, wincing with him when anything didn't feel right. And I've been on the receiving end of her many well-timed hugs to know it's not just a coincidence - she's paying attention and knows when I'm sad or hurt or frustrated and figures to solve the problems by putting her arms around me. This past Christmas morning, after the hustle and bustle of present-opening was all done, and I was sitting in the melancholy of missing my family in Saskatchewan and days-gone-by, little arms tightened around me from behind before my tears could fall. I didn't have to turn around to know it was Jane, putting aside new toys and fun, to sit with her mom for a bit.
So while she stomps and declares she's mad, she really is something else. She is a gift to me and to our family, wrapped up in a grumpy package, for us to open up and enjoy. She is a funny girl with a huge smile and big laugh. And we are blessed to be the ones to know her sweet, lovely, helpful, thoughtful soul.
Happy Birthday Eve, dear Janie! We love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment