Tuesday, December 14, 2021

teenager eve

Yesterday he was born and tomorrow he turns 13. The passage of time is complicated and a bit cruel. 

Alas... onward we go, moving forward every day until baby sighs become big boy laughs (or groans - it's about 50/50 around here). And it is all good - we are very proud of and excited by and excited for the young man Joe is becoming. I don't mind that he ages and learns and gets taller and grows stronger... but I do resent the speed at which it all happens. Because I really do feel like it was just yesterday that I eagerly yet timidly held this brand new person in the hospital without a single clue of how to raise him. 

To be honest, I still have no clue. We figure it out as we go. Fortunately, this firstborn is Very Responsible, attentive, helpful, patient (kind of), smart, and hard-working... all that to say, he is raising himself and we are helpful contributors. He cooks, he cleans, he helps his siblings, he rises early, he gets everyone to the bus on time, he buys gifts for family and friends, he organizes the kitchen drawers, he cuts the grass and rakes the leaves and shovels the snow, and he can get Leo to go to sleep on his own. (Full disclosure... he does have his faults but it's his birthday so we're just talking about the good things here.)

He is fascinating. I love him a lot. We all do. So here we go, more learning and growing in these years ahead. What a privilege. What a happy, blessed privilege.  

Happy Birthday Eve, Joseph William Gerald!





No comments: