Monday, April 7, 2008

Another fun and action-packed weekend in Sydney

Another good weekend in our Australian home... let's demonstrate with pictures...


First, a bus ride into Sydney's City Centre, where we were joined by a travelling companion... this pretty blue bug. Later, we gave the bug to a little girl and he went to spend the day with her.

Then onto Circular Quay, where we jumped on the ferry heading out to Manly. This peninsula is also accessible by bus, but the ferry ride is a whole lot prettier.

See? Prettier.




Here's us on the ferry.



A seagull being chased out of Sydney by a jetboat. Actually, this seagull was in pursuit of a piece of bread being offered by a ferry passenger standing next to me.





When we arrived at Manly, we were hungry. And as our guidebook said, nothing tastes better than fish and chips on the beach. I opted for calamari and chips, but I think it tasted just as good.



Filled up with fish and chips, we headed out onto Shelly Beach, named so because...





... it has quite a lot of shells.



Here's a picture for Julie... we found another amazing bunch of Birds of Paradise.



After a short tour of Manly (we will definitely go back to do more walking and seeing), we met up with some WYD colleagues. We went to Mass and then took a little walk to this beautiful beach.



Does anyone recognize the guy in the back row with curly hair? It's Darren, from Australia. He volunteered for WYD in Toronto. He remembers Pedro and Larissa and Joan and Khitanya and Natalie and Erin... he just doesn't remember ever meeting me.




Us on the beach.



The pathway leading to the beach... I just thought it was pretty.


Then, from there, on to the Trivia Night held at St. Joseph's Parish. This was organized as a WYD fund-raiser (but they let us volunteers come for free). It was so much fun. BYO food and drink, and the parish community came together for trivia, auctions, raffles... a lot of money was made and a lot of BYO consumed.



And Darren provided a little entertainment by playing his didgeridoo.



Now, onto Sunday. After we went to the WYD Volunteer Uniform Launch, we went to take a walk across the Harbour Bridge with our housemates, Anna and Tomasz.


Tomasz captured this lovely moment of a gleeful David tossing me overboard into the harbour.




The Harbour Bridge from below.



And taking pictures from the bridge. I think I was taking this shot...




As we walked home from our Harbour Bridge visit, we came across this... the best Art Show ever.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello from Hamilton:
I just wanted to FINALLY drop a line to say hello, and how very much I enjoy reading this blog (all the time)...your pictures are amazing (realize how awful I am with the camera) and to say you both look so wonderfully happy.....and we miss you both....please continue to take care and loving wishes sent to you both....Auntie Susie

Anonymous said...

Hello from Hamilton:
I just wanted to FINALLY drop a line to say hello, and how very much I enjoy reading this blog (all the time)...your pictures are amazing (realize how awful I am with the camera) and to say you both look so wonderfully happy.....and we miss you both....please continue to take care and loving wishes sent to you both....Auntie Susie

Anonymous said...

That pic of you and David @ sunset is fantastic! Wait a second... did you guys strike a deal with a travel brochure company?

God bless,
Matthew.